An average trip to one of these California Zoos takes about 2.5 hours although some people like to make a day out of it. They leisurely walk the grounds, taking in all the sights, stop to have lunch and do a little shopping in the gift shops after visiting the animals.
If you’re short on time check out the highlights and the “must-see” exhibits first. Most Zoos have a kiosk near the front gate to help you out. Ticket and parking prices are pretty reasonable, but check with the Zoo before hand to be sure.
Animals on exhibit include porcupine, foxes, vultures, bears, coyotes, owls, lions, bald eagles, ocelot, hawks, flamingo, penguin, elephant, giraffe, gorilla, anteater, monkeys and more.
You can find exciting educational programs for all ages. Zoos are a fun place for your whole family to enjoy and rediscover the wonder of the natural world together. So leave your passport at home and come visit the animals!
- Applegate Park Zoo - Merced
- California Living Museum - Bakersfield
- California Wolf Center - Julian
- The Cat House/Feline Conservation Center - Rosamond
- Charles Paddock Zoo - Atascadero
- CuriOdyssey at Coyote Point - San Mateo
- Emerald Forest Bird Gardens - Fallbrook
- Exotic Breeding Feline Compound - Rosamond
- Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary - Folsom
- Fresno Chaffee Zoo - Fresno
- Gibbon Conservation Center - Santa Clarita
- Happy Hollow Park & Zoo - San Jose
- Have Trunk Will Travel - Perris
- Lindsay Wildlife Museum - Walnut Creek
- The Living Desert - Palm Desert
- Los Angeles Zoo
- Micke Grove Zoo - Lodi
- Moonridge Animal Park - Big Bear Lake
- Oakland Zoo
- Orange County Zoo - Orange
- Orangutan Foundation International - Los Angeles
- Project Survival’s Cat haven - Dunlap
- Sacramento Zoo
- Safari West Wildlife Preserve - Santa Rosa
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- San Diego Zoo
- San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory - Milpitas
- San Francisco Zoo
- Santa Ana Zoo
- Santa Barbara Zoological Gardens
- Serpentarium - Lodi & Elk Grove
- Sequoia Park Zoo - Eureka
- Shambala Preserve - Acton
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom - Vallejo
- Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary - Modjeska Canyon
- Turtle Bay Exploration Park - Redding
- Wildlife Waystation - Angeles National Forest
What's YOUR favorite Zoo in California?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Return to Top of California Zoos
Thank you for visiting Trippin' Thru California! Hope you enjoy discovering new "things to do" and "fun places" as much as I do!
Welcome to California!